The Fresh Ten
- You shall treat all people with respect regardless of race, color, creed, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, disability, age, or national origin.
- You shall not kill, assault, nor intimidate with threats of physical violence.
- You shall not rape, sexually coerce, nor intimidate with threats of sexual violence.
- You shall cultivate intellectual curiosity, be open to new ideas, and respect the scientific method.
- You shall not cheat, nor cheat others out of what is rightfully theirs.
- You shall not lie, deceive, nor spread lies about others.
- You shall not steal, that is to say take or use what rightfully belongs to another person in a manner that causes harm. (Stealing is a trickier concept than it once was. How do you say yes to Fair Use and no to software patents?)
- You shall keep your promises.
- You shall not waste natural resources nor pollute the shared environment.
- You shall take responsibility for your actions and their consequences.
1 cup butter (softened)
1 cup sugar
½ teaspoon vanilla extract
½ teaspoon almond extract
3 ¼ cups all purpose flour
½ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon salt
2 cups confectioners’ sugar (sifted)
1-3 tablespoons milk (more or less as needed to achieve spreading consitancy)
1 tablespoon light corn syrup
¼ teaspoon almond extract
food coloring (optional)
Step 1: In a large mixing bowl combine butter with sugar, eggs, almond and vanilla extract. Beat until lightly and fluffy. In a separate bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, and salt. Gradually mix flour mixture into butter mixture until well blended. Cover with plastic wrap and refrigerate for 2 hours.
Step 2: Pre-heat the oven to 400 degrees. Line cookie sheets with parchment paper. On a lightly flowered surface roll out dough to ¼” thickness. Cut into desires shapes with cookie cutters. Place cookies 2 inches apartment on cookie sheets. Place into the oven and bake 4-6 minutes. Remove cookies and cool on wire racks.
Step 3: To make frosting- in a small bowl mix confectioners’ sugar with milk, start with 1-2 tablespoons of milk and add more as needed. Beat in corn syrup and almond extract until the icing is smooth. Add food coloring if desired.
Step 4: Paint the cookies with the frosting and allow to set on wax paper.